In the Diocese of Aberdeen, typically children prepare for First Confession at the age of 6-7 (P3) and for First Communion at the age of 7-8 (P4), though each parish may have different timeframes, depending on circumstances. Please contact your local parish priest for more details.
Bishop Hugh Gilbert has asked the Ogilvie Centre to develop, from the This is Our Faith curriculum, a list of essential points to be covered by catechists of First Reconciliation and First Communion.
Other First Reconciliation and First Communion Links:
- The Mass Illustrated for Children – An engaging and interactive children’s Missal, with illustrations to colour focusing on the Mass.
- “Blessed!” from Dynamic Catholic – Brilliantly designed and presented program with free workbooks, videos, and catechist and parent materials.
- “Catholic Icing” for First Reconciliation – Wonderful crafts and creative ideas for teaching this sacrament, some for free, some for a small fee.
- “Catholic Icing” for First Communion – Wonderful crafts and creative ideas for teaching this sacrament, some for free, some for a small fee.
- “SDC” – Sixteen free lessons and worksheets which cover First Reconciliation and First Communion topics
- We Share in the Eucharist – This newly revised edition of the On Our Way With Jesus series, complete with short, thought-provoking, colourful sidebars invites children, parents, and catechists to enter the mysteries of faith more deeply.
- I Belong – a programme that contains lively, colourful material in which illustrations and examples are used to reflect the world where today’s children live and experience faith. An additional parent guide is available to connect the wider family to the sacramental preparation.